Shimshal is a village located in Gojal Tehsil of Hunza District, in the Gilgit–Baltistan region of Pakistan formerly known as Northern Areas of Pakistan. It lies at an altitude of 3,100 m above sea level and is the highest settlement in Hunza Valley of Pakistan.
It is the bordering village that connects Gilgit-Baltistan area of Pakistan with China. The total area of Shimshal is approximately 3,800 km2 and there are around two thousand inhabitants with a total of two hundred and forty households. Shimshal is made up of four major hamlets; Farmanabad, Aminabad, center Shimshal and Khizarabad. Farmanabad is a new settlement that comes first on reaching Shimshal. Aminabad is announced by vast fields of stones hemmed in by dry stone walls, and fortress-like houses of stone and mud. As you approach Shimshal look for a glimpse of Odver Sar (6,303m) also known as Shimshal Whitehorn. Shimshal has hydroelectricity from Odver stream for five months (June – October) of the year (when the water isn’t frozen). Non availability of electricity for seven months is a big problem of the local community because during this period they have to rely on kerosene oil, firewood, solar plates and compressed natural gas in cylinders as an alternative
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Islamabad Airport|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Please arrive at least 2 hours before the flight.|
- Day 01: Arrival Islamabad Upon Arrival transfer to the Hotel for overnight stay.
- Day 02: Islamabad – Chilas 10 – 12 hrs drive to Chilas on KKH from Islamabad. Overnight in hotel at Chilas.
- Day 03: CHILAS-GULMIT Drive to Gilgit and later proceed to Gulmit, superb views of Nanga Parbat and Rakaposhi en route.
- Day 04: GULMIT-KHUNJERAB PASS-GULMIT Excursion to Khunjerab, the highest point on Karakoram Highway
- Day 05: ZIARAT-MALUNGUTI Drive to Dutt or tupto the end of jeep road to start trekking
- Day 06: ZIARAT-MALUNGUTI Depart Ziarat for a three to five hour trek to Malunguti. Overnight in tents
- Day 07: MALUNGUTI-SHIMASHAL Depart Malunguti for three to four hour trek to Shimshal. Overnight in tents
- Day 08: Day free at Shimshal-Full day excursion to Shimshal Valley
- Day 09 SHIMSHAL-ZIARAT Depart Shimshal for four to five hour trek to Ziarat. Overnight in tents.
- Day 10: ZIARAT/DUTT-HUNZA Ziarat for three to four hour trek to Dutt. From Dutt we drive to Hunza.
- Day 11: HUNZA-GILGIT AM visit Baltit and Altit Forts. PM drive to Gilgit
- Day 12: GILGIT AM visit Kargah, a rock carved Buddha on a high cliff. PM free.
- Day 13: GILGIT-BESHAM Early departure for Besham driving on Karakoram Highway
- Day 14: BESHAM-ISLAMABAD Departure for Rawalpindi/Islamabad, visiting Taxila, en route.
- Day 15: Islamabad Many Hand Shakes and God bye