The Hindukush lies beyond the reach of the monsoon and, is a deserted, arid mountain scape visited by very few. The scenic Tirich Valley is very fertile, and populated with several small villages.
Tirich Mir (7706m/25,430ft) is the highest peak in the Hindu Kush mountain range. Rarely visited compared to the Karakurum and Himalayan destinations, the Hindu Kush region in Chitral is less polluted and very interesting. Tirich Mir was conquered by Norwegians in 1950 and now attracts several mountaineers every year from all over the world. Trekking to the base camp of Tirich Mir is interesting and rewarding as we experience a difference in culture and landscape as compared to other parts of the country.
We drive to Chitral with its prime attraction of Kalash Valley and after local sightseeing departs for the base camp. Initially we drive through the green and fertile Turikho Valley which joins with the valley of the Mastuj River.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Islamabad Airport|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Please arrive at least 2 hours before the flight.|
From here we trek to the base camp and enjoy the beauty of the rising giant of the Hindu Kush. For the return journey, there are two options, one to return via the same route and the other to go to Gilgit crossing Shandur Pass, famous for Polo matches and then driving through the picturesque Ghizer Valley.
A spectacular drive to Uthul takes us to the jump off point, and trekking across Zani Pass (3886m) provides excellent views of Hindukush and the Hindu Raj Ranges. Passing through the villages of Atak and Bandak, one arrives Shogor, at the foot of the Tirich Glacier. A free day will enable us to explore and will, allow for fantastic views of Tirich Mir (7708m), Istoro Nal (7403m) and heavily crevassed upper Tirich Glacier. Visit legendary Kafir Kalash of Chitral, and the historical Khyber Pass.
- Day 01: Arrival to Rawalpindi/Islamabad Hotel
- Day 02: Drive to Peshawar/Swat Hotel
- Day 03: Drive to Chitral Hotel
- Day 04: Day excursion to Kalash Valley and back to Chitral Hotel
- Day 05: Drive to Shagrom Camp
- Day 06: Drive to Shoghor Biasum Camp
- Day 07: Trek to Tirich Mir Base camp Camp
- Day 08: Day for exploration of area Camp
- Day 09: Trek back to Shoghor Biasum Camp
- Day 10: Trek to Shagrom Camp
- Day 11: Drive to Mastuj Camp
- Day 12: Drive to Phunder over Shandur Pass Camp
- Day 13: Drive to Karimabad Hunza Hotel
- Day 14: Free day in Karimabad Hunza. Hotel
- Day 15: Drive to Besham Hotel
- Day 16: Drive to Islamabad Hotel
- Day 17: Drive to Airport for homebound flight